VA loans in Kentucky has issued Circular 26-17-02
regarding student loans. This policy will be effective immediately for all Kentucky VA loans.
How to Calculate a Student Loan Monthly Payment:
If the Veteran or other borrower provides written evidence that the student loan debt will be deferred at least 12 months beyond the date of closing, a monthly payment does not need to be considered.
If a student loan is in repayment or scheduled to begin within 12 months from the date of closing, the lender must consider the anticipated monthly obligation in the loan analysis and utilize the payment established in one of the options below. Calculate each loan at a rate of 5%of the outstanding balance divided by 12 months.
(Example: $25,000 student loan balance x 5% = $1,250 divided by 12 months = $104.17 per month is the monthly payment for debt ratio purposes).
- The lender must use the payment reported on the credit report for each student loan if the reported payment is greater than the threshold payment calculation above, OR
- If the payment reported on the credit report is less than the threshold payment calculation above, the loan file must contain a statement from the student loan servicer that reflects the actual loan terms and payment information for each student loan. The statement must be dated within 60 days of the loan closing and may be an electronic copy from the student loan servicer’s website or a printed statement provided by the student loan servicer. It is the lender’s discretion as to whether the credit report should be supplemented with this information.
1. What are the most popular mortgages you offer?
Why are they so popular?
2. Which type of mortgage plan do you think would
be best for me? Why?
3. Will I have to buy private mortgage insurance?
If so, how much will it cost, and how long will it
be required. (NOTE: Private mortgage insurance
is usually required if your down payment is less than
20%. However, most lenders will let you discontinue
PMI when you’ve acquired a certain amount of equity
by paying down the loan.)
4. Are your rates, terms, and closing costs negotiable?
5. Who will service the loan – your bank or another?
6. What escrow requirements do you have?
7. How long will this loan be in a lock-in period
(in other words, the time that the quoted interest
rate will be honored)? Will I be able to obtain a
lower rate if it drops during this time period?
8. How long will the loan approval process take?
9. How long will it take to close the loan?
10. Are there any charges or penalties
for prepaying the loan?
KHC Hardest Hit Funds Just announced for Louisville Kentucky 2017!
This specific program is for new loan reservation on or after January 11, 2017. KY Housing has $4 Million Dollars set aside for this program and is utilized on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The funds are for eligible first time home buyers or for those who have not owned a home in the previous 3 years
- The program is a 2nd mortgage down payment assistance loan up to $10,000, 0% interest rate, forgivable second mortgage loan with a five-year term
- There is no monthly payment on the down payment assistance loan and 1/5th of the loan is forgiven for 5 years and at that point the loan is fully forgiven
- The property must remain as your primary residence for those 5 years
- The down payment assistance loan can be used to cover your closing costs and down payment
- Max purchase price $283,900
- Max income for person or persons on the loan in Jefferson County is $117,250
- The down payment assistance loan must be used in conjunction with KY Housing first mortgage program (conventional or FHA)
- Minimum 640 credit score to be eligible but we can generally provide advice how to improve your score to that level if needed
- The property (new or existing) must be located in one of these four counties:
- Other counties are not eligible for this specific program but there is a down payment assistance loan for other counties
Senior Loan Officer
The view and opinions stated on this website belong solely to the authors, and are intended for informational purposes only. The posted information does not guarantee approval, nor does it comprise full underwriting guidelines. This does not represent being part of a government agency. The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the view of my employer. Not all products or services mentioned on this site may fit all people. NMLS ID# 57916, (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org
). Mortgage loans only offered in Kentucky.
All loans and lines are subject to credit approval, verification, and collateral evaluation and are originated by lender. Products and interest rates are subject to change without notice. Manufactured and mobile homes are not eligible as collateral.
NMLS No. 57916.
Some products and services may not be available in all states. Credit and collateral are subject to approval. Terms and conditions apply. This is not a commitment to lend. Programs, rates, terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. The content in this marketing advertisement has not been approved, reviewed, sponsored or endorsed by any department or government agency. Rates are subject to change and are subject to borrower(s) qualification.